KNOWLEDGE is power
Read across America day reminds us that knowledge really is power. The more information we have, the better our decisions and thus, the better the outcome. When it comes to Obstructive Sleep Apnea and other sleep conditions, knowledge isn't just power...it's key. Through consultation, assessment and diagnosis we are addressing a worldwide epidemic that impacts far more than our sleep alone. Let's learn a bit more about the somewhat jarring statistics behind OSA and what experts in our field are saying.
DID YOU KNOW?
- OSA afflicts 1 in every 5 Americans.
- 65% of stroke patients have sleep apnea.
- It is estimated 90% of obese males and 50% of obese females have OSA.
- Obesity is the best documented risk factors for sleep apnea because the prevalence of OSA increases with BMI.
- 40% of those afflicted experience sexual dysfunction including loss of libido or impotence.
- Men with moderate to severe OSA are 3x more likely to have a stroke.
- OSA is the second leading cause in hypertension.
- OSA sufferers have a 30% higher risk of heart attack and premature death.
- Untreated sleep apnea costs Americans an extra $4.3 billion per year.
- Leaving sleep apnea untreated can result in structural disfiguration of the face and oral cavity.
These are just some quick statistics pulled from a variety of our journals. We'd love to provide you with ALL the details, though, so please visit any of the below for more information:
And, if we're missed anything, please let us know! We sorta can't resist Sleep Apnea research.